7/05/2011

9 Reasons Chromebook is Not Recommended

Post by Peter Mugi of Cloud High Club. He is a proud owner of a Cr-48 Chromebook.

I have seen way too much appreciations about Chromebook, why you should use it, how fast it is, etc.  Yes I think Chromebook is great.  My Cr-48 works well and I guess Samsung’s would be even better.  However, if you ask me whether Chromebook is perfect, my answer is a definite NO.  It’s great but with deficiencies.  Besides, it’s not designed for all computer users.


There are people who are not reocmmended to use Chromebook.  In this article I’ll suggest 9 reasons that Chromebook is not recommended.

  1.     You need many local apps that no comparable web app alternatives are available
  2.     You need to access IE- (or other browser) only web sites
  3.     You want dual systems but you are not technically competent to hack the Chromebook
  4.     You need large local storage space (or you don’t have money to pay for extra cloud storage every month)
  5.     You have many peripherals to plug into your computers, for example iPhone
  6.     You often print but only have an old printer and don’t want to always switch on another PC
  7.     You need Java and other plug-ins not supported by Chrome OS
  8.     You want choices (of Chromebook with varying look and specs)
  9.     You do not live in the launch countries and don’t want to wait (or pay more for parallel import)


Days ago I had a discussion with someone in an online forum.  I mentioned the drawbacks of Chrome OS such as lack of Java.  The other guy seemed not to be convinced, since he thought that what I did was like comparing a car with a motorcycle.  Chrome OS is a web-centric OS that shouldn’t be compared with traditional OS.

Well, I agree that Chromebook is not an ordinary computer.  But customers don’t necessarily appreciate this.  To them as long as the product is good and matches their needs they’ll pay.  If I have to buy a computing device for my girlfriend, I won’t care about theories and academic talks.  If my girlfriend does not fall into one of the 9 categories of people above, Chromebook is a good choice.  That’s all.  So dear friends, think thoroughly before you purchase.  Chromebook is a great device, but only people know how to handle it could release its full potential. [Source: chromestory.com]

0 comments:

Post a Comment